Survey Distribution FAQ
This page provides a number of frequently asked questions concerning the distribution, activation and launching of your surveys. This page will be updated as new popular questions arise.
01. How do I launch my survey?
You can launch your survey at any time by using the options available on your "Launch" page:
- The Request Survey Activation page includes a step-by-step guide to help you launch a survey.
- You can launch your survey at any time either:
- As a test (before activation); OR
- Officially (after activation)
- There are three common ways to distribute/launch your survey online:
- Master Survey URL: Copy and paste your survey's web address into an email template, web page, social media etc.
- Email List Distribution: Import or create a specific list of respondents to send your survey to.
- HTML Code: Embed your survey into a web page by copying and pasting Key Survey code.
- You can learn more about these launch methods in the official workshops and video tutorials.
02. How do I know if my survey's been activated by Survey Support?
A confirmation email will be sent to you and your approver once an activation has been completed.
- Your survey's launch page tells you if your survey is only for testing purposes:
- Under your survey's web address (or Master URL) is an alert message written in red.
- When your survey is activated by Survey Support this message is removed.
- The "Requires Approval" caption on your "Surveys" page informs you if the highlighted survey needs to be activated.
03. What is the turn-around time for an official survey launch?
You can find information about the Turn-Around Period on the Request Survey Activation page.
04. How do I turn the "survey test" messages off?
You will need to activate your survey by submitting a request form to Survey Support:
- Until your survey has been activated it will only be accessible, as a test, inside QUT.
- Activation removes all test messages and restrictions making it publicly accessible.
- You can learn more about the difference between Activation and Launch by following this link.
05. How do I make sure that respondents answer all the rows in my questions?
You can use "Conditional Must Answer", "Mandatory Answer Options" or "Must Answer all Fields" rules to ensure respondents answer all parts of your question:
- Start editing your survey.
- Scroll down to the question that you wish to refine the rules for.
- Select the special "Must Answer" option from your question's drop-down box.
- Follow the instructions in the pop-up window.
- Different question types can use different answer conditions.
- Some questions allow you to set more "Must Answer Conditions" on their "Single Question" page.
- "Edit Survey" rules take precedence over "Single Question" ones.
06. Can I use "Master Survey URL" and "Email List Distribution" methods at once for my survey?
Yes you can:
- You can combine both launch methods at the same time.
- All data collected will go into the same place as normal.
- Your survey will need to be activated before you can access the "Email List Distribution" feature.
- Master Survey URL respondents will not have a unique survey address but their responses will still be added to your account.
07. If I want to use the "Master Survey URL" method do I need to use Section 4?
No - The "Launch" page is designed to show all of your Master Survey URL options by default:
- All options under "Section 4" of your "Launch" page are for other ways of releasing your survey.
- A Master Survey URL survey is launched by pasting the given web address into an email template, web page, physical document or social media.
- You will need to set your "Start" and "End" survey dates before you launch your survey.
- These dates apply to all the survey distribution methods.
08. Do I need special permissions to send my survey to over 10000 respondents?
From a Key Survey perspective, no, however we recommend that you tell Survey Support if you are expecting a lot of responses at once:
- There is no limit to how many respondents you can have.
- Technically you are only bound to the system's hardware and performance.
- Really large numbers of respondents can slow down the system if they respond at once.
- NOTE: We recommend that you inform Survey Support if you have a lot of respondents so we can monitor the system.
09. Would it be a problem to send my survey to over 10000 respondents at once?
Generally, no - The system has been setup for situations like this, however we recommend that you tell the Survey Support before you officially launch:
- System performance can be affected if survey emails need to be generated for a large number of people.
- Survey Support can monitor the system's performance during this time if they are aware of such a release.
- If possible, divide your large audience into smaller groups and send them one at a time.
- You can add to your email list at any time without sending duplicate emails.
- If you are unsure about your options Survey Support can provide additional advice.
10. Can I make changes to my survey after it has been activated?
Yes - You can edit your survey at any time:
- If you try to edit your survey BEFORE receiving any responses:
- All aspects and features of your survey can be changed easily.
- If you try to edit your survey WHILE or AFTER receiving responses:
- You can edit, add or remove typos, section headings and question label text easily.
- Key Survey will not allow you to change your question types, formatting or new question labels.
- In order to change actual question types or formats you can do one of the following:
- Delete all of your existing responses first (used for test responses only); OR
- Copy the question that you wish to edit and hide the original.
- In order to change actual question types or formats you can do one of the following:
11. If I make changes to my survey after activation would I need to reactivate it?
No - Once your survey has been activated it will remain so indefinitely unless otherwise specified by your approver.
12. I need to activate a lot of surveys. Can I do it with one request form?
Yes - You can add multiple Survey IDs, names and URLs to a single form.
13. What does "Approval Required" mean?
The "Approval Required" message informs you that your selected survey needs to be activated before it can be officially launched:
- Your surveys can only be 'test launched' without approval and activation.
14. How can I officially launch my survey if my approver is on leave?
You can request the person acting in your approver's role to confirm the survey on their behalf:
- If you discover that your approver is away on leave you can forward your form to their acting replacement.
- Both the original and acting approvers will be notified via email after your survey has been activated.
- NOTE: It is recommended that you plan and schedule your survey's official launch early, with your supervisor.
15. If I close my survey, would Survey Support need to reactivate it?
No - You can re-open your survey at any time by extending your "Start" and "End Survey" dates:
- A survey activated by Survey Support will remain active indefinitely.
- Your survey approver can deactivate your survey at any time by sending an email request to Survey Support.
16. My survey has suddenly gone inactive. How do I fix this?
Check your "Start" and "End" survey dates before contacting Survey Support:
- If your survey has suddenly gone inactive it is most likely because your survey's active period has expired.
- You can extend the time by setting the dates on your "Surveys" or "Launch" pages.
- If this does not resolve your issue please contact Survey Support for assistance.
17. I'm a sub-user. Why can't I launch my survey?
It is most likely that you do not have permission to do so. Contact your survey administrator to gain access:
- Your survey administrator sets your access rights when they create your account.
- You will need to contact them if you need any features added to your account.
- If you experience any issues, your survey administrator can contact Survey Support for assistance.
18. My survey's been activated. Why can't respondents at an external site access it?
If your survey has been activated but cannot be accessed outside, it may be due to that system's security settings:
- Some external systems have firewall settings that stop your surveys being displayed.
- Our Key Survey system tries to minimise firewall blocks by proving that it is a legitimate academic source:
- i.e. We annually purchase software security certificates from certified sources.
- We use an official educational address for our system (qut.edu.au).
- Key Survey also uses secure connections to protect data.
- Some external sites can still block Key Survey regardless, depending on how their security is setup.
- In this situation you would need to discuss the issue with that external site's IT professional or web master.
- Survey Support can also provide additional information if required.
19. I got an email saying my survey has launched. Is it publicly available now?
No - If you have not yet had your survey approved and activated then you would have only performed a test launch:
- When testing or sending to your email distribution list, Key Survey will inform you that you have launched your survey.
- This is technically true because you can launch your surveys at any time.
- If your survey has not yet been approved or activated it will not be available for public use.
- You can check if your survey has been activated by going to your "Launch" screen.
- If you see a red text summary on this screen then your survey is NOT publicly accessible.
20. How do I launch a survey that separates sensitive data from a prize draw?
You will need to use the Master Survey URL for your data survey.
To create a Data Separated Survey Series:
- Create two surveys: (Data "or D" & Thank You/Prize Draw "or TYPD")
- In your TYPD survey:
- Use a Section Header to create your thank you message.
- Create a "Pick one or Other" question type to ask if your respondent would like to go into the prize draw.
- Add a "Single Line..." question to obtain the personal details.
- Go to your "Pick One or Other" question and use the "Logic" button.
- Use "Branch" logic to direct respondents to the next question or the end of the survey.
- Save your changes.
- Use the "Messages" button to set a custom "Thank You" page.
- Create a generic message (e.g. "Your survey has now been submitted. You can now close your browser window/tab...")
- Go to your TYPD survey's "Launch" page and copy the "Master Survey URL".
- In your D survey go to the "Settings" page.
- Paste the TYPD's Master Survey URL into the "Redirect Page" field.
- Click "Save" to confirm your changes.
- For both surveys: You should set your themes and active period dates so they match.
- When launching your survey, you will only need to provide your respondents with the D survey's Master Survey URL.
- The D survey should not have a custom thank you message.
- You will need to request activation for both of these surveys to publicly launch them.