Survey Creation FAQ
This page provides a number of frequently asked questions concerning question design and overall development. This page will be updated as new popular questions arise.
01. Can my survey have more than one logo?
Yes - You can either combine two images in a graphics editing application or use Key Survey methods:
- The easiest way to use two logos is to put them together in a graphics editor (examples below) and then import them back into Key Survey:
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Fireworks; OR
- Microsoft Paint
- If you are comfortable with Key Survey, you can use a combination of techniques to help you:
- On the "Questions" overview page you can use the "Add Logo" or "Add Image" buttons to add an image to your Key Survey account.
- You can then use the "Media Library", "CSS Styles" page, "WYSIWYG Editor" or "In-line" web-code to place images anywhere in your survey.
- To learn more about writing in-line code refer to the Web Code & Key Survey page.
- To learn how to add images using coede in Key Survey please refer to the Video Tutorials.
02. How do I create an "ethics disclaimer" that looks like my paper version?
You can find question templates on this website, ask Survey Support to help you or use "in-line web code":
- The Letter & Research Templates page has downloadable templates that you can use with Key Survey.
- The templates on this page have been designed based on requests commonly made by researchers.
- If you have a disclaimer document that's different you can forward it to Survey Support so a new template can be added.
- If you are comfortable with web-code, you can use "in-line styles" to recreate your own disclaimer.
- You can learn more about writing in-line code on the Web Code & Key Survey page.
- NOTE: It is also possible to import a PDF into your Media Library and refer to it in your survey.
03. How do I get an "ethics disclaimer" template?
You can get a copy of the ethics and letter templates on the Letter & Research Templates page:
- This page provides a list of downloadable templates along with a preview image and instructions.
- We will add new templates to this page if any new requests are made.
04. How do I use an "ethics disclaimer" template?
Both the Letter & Research Templates page and the actual template files have instructions that can help you:
- Letter & Research Templates page provides step-by-step instructions to help you apply them.
- The templates that you download include more detailed instructions written in ALL CAPS.
- The ALL CAPS instructions are designed to let you know what kind of information should be written in its place:
- EXAMPLE: ".. SURVEY TITLE GOES HERE .. " = You would overwrite the ALL CAPS with the name of your survey.
- If you experience any issues, contact Survey Support for advice.
05. How do I put questions on a new page?
Check the "New Page" box above or beneath a question to insert a page break:
- As you start making questions in Key Survey you will notice "New Page" check boxes appear on the perforated lines.
- Any questions below a checked "New Page" box, will appear on a new page in your survey.
- NOTE: Using "Logic" can create automatic page breaks that you cannot turn off.
06. What are application tags?
Application tags are special bits of code designed to help improve your surveys:
- Application tags are especially made for Key Survey.
- They look and behave like standard web code.
- Most application tags stand alone rather than in pairs.
- The latest version of Key Survey uses "Wrench icon wizards" to apply most of these tags.
- NOTE: The Application Tag Guide page teaches you more about how to manually add them.
07. How do I use an application tag?
You can use the "Wrench icon wizards" to select an appropriate tag or you can manually enter them:
Please refer to the Application Tag Guide to learn how to do this.
08. Is it possible to timestamp a respondent's survey response date or time taken?
Yes - Key Survey can do some of this automatically for you. You can specify precise times using a plug-in:
- Key Survey includes a final submit date and time when you publish your report.
- If you wish to record a precise date and time within each response you can use one of the following plug-ins:
- "Access Time Saver"
- "Action Logger"; OR
- "Capture Time Spent on Page"
- Each plug-in is applied in a very similar fashion.
- You should read the "Insert" instructions when you open the plug-in selection windows.
How to apply a plug-in:
- Log into your account.
- Create or edit the survey that you wish to modify.
- Use the "Insert" drop-down box to create a "New Question" at the beginning or end of your survey.
- In 'Section 1' select "Single line with pre-format options" from the drop-down list.
- In 'Section 2' type a description (e.g. "Placeholder: Respondent Access Time").
- In 'Section 3' type a more specific description (e.g. "Date/Time Accessed:").
- "Save" your question to return to the "Edit Survey" page.
- Check the "Hide" box for your new question.
- Click the "Plugins" button located in the toolbar at the top of the page.
- Click "Add New Plugin"
- Plug-ins are divided into groups:
- For Access Time Saver & Capture Time...: Expand the "Visual and Interactive Group"
- For Action Logger: Expand the "Misc" Group.
- Click the "Insert" button for your plug-in.
- Depending on your plug-in the system will ask you to enter specific details.
- In most cases you will need to use Key Survey's Logic Language: i.e.
- Q = Question: Key Survey is asking you which question should we put the respondents' access time in.
- A = Answer label: Which answer box should we fill in with this information.
- x and y = The numbers that you need to enter.
- Example: Q1.A1 = Put the time stamp into the first input box in the first question.
- Save your plug-in to return to the "Plugins" page.
- You can use the breadcrumbs near the top of the page to return to the "Edit Survey" page.
- Use the "Launch" page Section 2 to test launch your survey.
09. Can I precisely time when a respondent will receive their second survey?
Not automatically but "yes" it is possible:
- Key Survey can time stamp when a respondent first completes their survey.
- The system can only send surveys in bulk when you manually distribute them.
- However you can time when a respondent receives a second survey by watching the time stamps and sending the links manually.
10. Is it possible to allow respondents to upload files? If so, how?
Yes - You can use Key Survey's "File Upload" question or manually enter an "Application Tag":
- It is highly recommended that you create a "File Upload" question as it allows multiple file uploads and clean transactions between the respondent and Key Survey server.
- You also have the option to use this Application Tag: <upload_your_file/>
- This tag can only be used in questions that demand a response (e.g. Pick one or other).
- This particular method is now outdated and will likely be phased out over coming versions of Key Survey.
- You can learn more about tags and their use in the Application Tag Guide.
11. Is there a limit to the type and size of files that respondents can upload?
Yes: File types are not restricted however you do have a 100Mb limit for storing uploaded respondent files.
- Respondents can upload any file type at any size within your storage limit however you should consider the following:
- Your respondents' files will pile up and eventually fill your storage space.
- A lot of respondents submitting files at the same time can severely slow your survey and the system down.
- Large files can take a very long time to upload.
- EXE and other file formats can contain viruses - You should not ask respondents to submit these.
- RECOMMENDATION: Restrict what a respondent should upload by writing instructions in the question:
- Request known and portable file types (e.g. TXT, DOCX, PDF, JPG, PNG, SWF etc.)
- Ask respondents to reduce their file sizes using compression if required
- Scan your files for viruses before you open them in your local drive.
- You will need to encourage your respondents to keep their file sizes as small as possible.
- Receiving a lot of large files can lead to unpredictable issues if not monitored.
- Use uploads sparingly and ask Survey Support if you are unsure of anything.
12. Is it possible to download all respondent uploaded files in one go?
Sadly no. You will need to either download each file one at a time or request this as a service from the vendor.
- There is no automated means for downloading file attachments.
- The vendor can download files in batches for you.
- This is a service which will incur a fee.
13. How do I insert a progress bar in my multi-page survey?
The "Settings" page in your account has progress bar features that you can use:
- To insert a "Progress Bar":
- Edit your survey.
- Look for "New Page" check boxes in-between your questions.
- Check the boxes above each section that you would like on a new page.
- Save your changes and click the "Settings" button at the top of the page.
- You will notice that new settings have been added:
- "Survey Progress Indicator"; &
- "A Back Button Option"
- Select a progress indicator of your choice.
- Preview your survey to check your work.
- NOTE: The "Progress Indicator" options will not appear if your survey is only one page.
14. Is it possible to create "Opt-out" options in a survey?
Yes - You can use a combination of question types and plug-ins to direct respondents away from your survey:
- There are two ways to do this (one example provided below).
- Create an opt-out using a plug-in:
- Create a question at the very top of your survey (i.e. the first question).
- Select "Pick one or other" in "Section 1".
- In "Section 2" write your question with instructions about opt-ing out.
- Select "Yes - No" in "Section 3's" drop-down box.
- Click "Save" to return to the "Questions" page.
- Select "Must Answer" in the drop-down box for your new question.
- Check the "New Page" box under your new question.
- Click the "Plugins" button at the top of the page.
- Click "Add New Plugin" and expand the "Logic, Quota and Randomisation" list.
- Look for "Logical redirect" and click "Insert".
- Enter the following in these fields:
- Redirect criteria: Q1.Ax ** Replace "x" with your opt-out choice **.
- Redirect URL: ... The web page that you wish to redirect opt-outs to ...
- Redirect on: Next and Submit
- Save your changes and click "Back" to return to the "Edit Survey" page.
- Preview your survey to test it.
- This example redirects respondents to a website of your choice if they choose to opt-out of your survey.
- All options are useful in their own way and should be chosen in response to your situation.
15. How do I create multiple "Thank you" pages?
You can use "Section Headers" to create as many "Thank you" pages as you need:
- To create a second "Thank you" page:
- Edit your survey and create a new "Section Heading" question.
- Create your alternate "Thank you message" and save it.
- On your "Edit Survey" page use logic on your branching questions to direct respondents to your messages.
- Use "Skip logic" on your "Thank you" message to lead respondents to your survey's end.
- Key Survey provides a dedicated place for a primary "Thank you" message.
- Regardless of how many alternate ones you make, your respondents will always see the primary one last.
- This message is editable so you can use it as one of your "Thank you pages" if you plan what to say.
- You can also potentially bypass the final message by using the "Logical Redirect" plug-in.
- If a respondent jumps over the final "Thank you" page their response may end up being listed as "In Progress".
16. Can I create a PDF/Hard Copy of my survey?
Yes - There is a "Print" button found at the top of the right hand panel on the "Surveys" page:
- Log into your account.
- Highlight the survey that you wish to convert.
- Click the "Print" button in the right hand panel.
- Follow the instructions to export your survey into PDF format.
- Preview your new PDF.
17. Can I modify the PDF version of my survey?
It is possible but it will require advanced web coding knowledge:
- Key Survey automatically converts your survey to fit on A4 pages.
- You can use @mediaPrint on your CSS page to stylise your file in print mode.
If you do not wish to use web code:
- The best way to modify your PDF survey is to use Adobe software.
- Use Adobe Acrobat Professional to edit PDF's in a word processor style; OR
- Use Adobe Photoshop to convert PDF pages to images and modify them individually.
- These particular programs are distributed under a special license at QUT.
- If you have administrative access over your PC you can use the Self Installer to add these programs.
18. Is it possible to make surveys in a different language?
Yes - Provided that you and your respondents have the same language packages on your PCs you can create and view surveys in different languages:
- Create or Edit your new survey.
- Click the "Multilingual" button in the toolbar at the top of the page.
- Change Language 2 to the language of your choice.
- Click Proceed.
- Check the details on the next page and click Save.
- On the "Edit Survey" page click the "Multilingual" button again.
- Type your translated questions into the provided spaces.
- Click "Save" to save your translated survey.
- If a language that you need is not on the list please feel free to send a request to Survey Support to have it added.
19. Is there a word limit for open-ended text questions?
No - Respondents can type as many words, phrases and paragraphs as they like:
- Boxes (or Field width) are made automatically but their sizes can be adjusted on the "Single Question" screen.
- Single line text boxes are a set size and length:
- Long lines of text can still be written regardless of the box size.
- Reviewing long lines can be tough as you'd need to scroll backwards in the box to see what you typed.
- A Single line box is best used for short answers.
- Multi-line text boxes become scrollable if a respondent needs more space to write:
- Some browsers allow respondents to drag the text box out for more space.
- A Multi-line text box is better suited for long answers.
- NOTE: Even though you can write unlimited text in either question type, it is best to choose which is more suitable for your situation.
20. How do I change the widths and spacing of my Rank Scale labels and columns?
You can make limited changes on your Layout/Styles page but the "CSS Styles" tab is the best way to do this:
- To change "Rank Scale" widths and spacing:
- Start editing your survey.
- Click the "Layout" button at the top of your page.
- Click "Edit" then the "CSS" tab.
- Look for .H4 and change the number in width: xx to 450px (for example).
- Add a new line before the closing curly brace and type "padding: 0.7em;".
- Look for .HRG3D.
- You can specify a width for your rank scale columns by typing "width: 15%;" (for example).
- Save your changes and preview your questions.
- .H4 is used to control how your 3D Matrix and Rank Scale question labels look.
- .HRG3D controls each scale column (i.e. their position on the page and how much space they take up).
- Any changes that you make in "CSS Styles" will apply to ALL the questions related to those controls.
- You can learn more about the code behind this by visiting the Web Code & Key Survey page.
- ALL QUT layout templates have these widths and spaces adjusted for you.
15. Key survey won't let me make more than 200 questions. Can I break this limit?
Yes - You can send an email request to Survey Support to lift this limitation:
- This feature is normally turned off to encourage you not to create extensively long surveys.
- If you need extra questions you can send a request for a limit break.
- Key Survey is freely provided so this action would be processed with no charge.